Friday, May 21, 2010

On My Way To Work



 Hi everybody!

Borneo:
I go to work every morning by public transport. It is so different here than what I am used to in Holland. Here, in Kota Kinabalu I will leave from home around 8, I walk to the square nearby BB cafe and wait for the first bus I have to take: The Citybus, which only cost me RM0,50. You never know when the bus comes, but there are a lot of busses, so most of time you have to wait for max. 5 minuts. With this bus I arrive at my first stop: KK Terminal.
Here I have to get bus 3,4 or 5 who bring me to Kolombong. These are small vans, which fit 11 people. I normally choose the busiest one, because they only leave when the bus is full. So you never know how long you have to wait. Sometimes you only wait for 2 minuts and sometimes you wait 10. It is very hot in this bus (especially when its standing still), because it is very small and me, as an white girl, don't completely fit in with my legs,grrr. But it is lovely when it is driving: open the windows and feeeeeel the wind! This will cost me RM1,50. It takes approx 15 minuts before I will arive at the Kolombong zone.
I will cross the road and either here I have the choice to walk 15 minuts (in the heat & sun) or take the bus again to the junction close to the street of my work. Mostly, I take the other bus for RM0,80. This bus takes a longer time to get full, so patience is required. But fortunatly sometimes they leave also with less poeple :).
Then at the junction I have to walk for 3-4 more minuts till I finally reach the office. JEEJ!
`Totally I will be on the road for 50-60 minuts, depending on when the bus leaves. I don't want to think about the fact that when you go with your own car, it only takes 15 minuts in total!!



Holland:
When I go to my university in Holland, I have to choices: bike and public bus. When it is nice weither (read: not raining & not toooo cold) I go by bike. This will take me about 15 minuts. Easy! Remember there are A LOT of bycicles in Holland. When I take the bus there is a bus schedule. Mostly the bus comes every half an hour, but in the peak hours the bus will come every 15 minuts. At night, the bus will only come once every half or whole hour. The busstop is only 2 minuts walking from my home. So very easy. Sometimes people have to transfer at the terminal (where also the trainstation is located), but I have the luck the same bus will stop in front of my school. Total passed time: 25 minuts. Price: free (students have a free public transfer pass, otherwise you probably pay RM6,40)

What do I prefer:
I like schedules! So although you sometimes have to wait a little longer, I still prefer the Dutch way. The busses in Holland are big and made for white people haha, so it is a bit more comfortable for me. You always know when the bus comes, so you can leave on a certain time and you don't have to leave earlier, because in Holland there is no such thing as: waiting till the bus is full. Yes.. I miss my bike and the bus.. :-) Hmm, The bus here in KK has 1 advantage though: SO CHEAP!

Have a good day!

2 comments:

  1. KK still has a long way to improve its public transportation. Hopefully someday it will have LRT (Light Rail Transport) so that traffic congestion won't be too bad in this tight little city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha true =) thanks for your commment!

    ReplyDelete